Monday, January 14, 2008

The past week...

Okay so where to start???

First of all, my brother came home from Iraq on leave last week on a three week leave. The day he arrived my mother emailed that morning and I immediately started making plans to get out of work and get to the airport to meet him. His plane arrived on time, we ate lunch, and went back to my parents’ house to hang out. His girl friend was supposed to arrive at 4:30. We were going to pick her up and then go on to the SC vs. HC ball game. Well she calls at 2 and says that her flight has been cancelled and she is trying to get another one. Right before we are to leave for the game, she calls and says that she has a flight and will arrive at the airport around 10:30. Cool, of course she asks if we have heard from my brother and we promptly tell her no. We want to surprise her at the airport. So we go to the game. As we are proceeding through downtown, I suddenly hear a thump-thump-thump. I look at my brother, turn down the radio, and panic. Something is not right. At the stoplight, I open my door and look back. Oh no…a stupid flat tire. Okay, no problem, my brother is with me and we’ll just get out and change the tire. We call my parents who are in another car to tell them what has happened. Now the fun begins…we can’t figure out how to release the spare tire from the back of the car and my book is sitting at home on the kitchen table. Great place for it! So we have to call my parents back and have my dad come with his tool box and try to figure out how to get this spare out.

Dad arrives and tries the fix-a-flat stuff first with his portable air compressor. No luck. So we proceed to try to get the tire. Finally after like 20 minutes, we find the lever to release the tire. DUH! About an hour after I stopped, we have the tire changed and it’s on to the game. We were planning to stop at Subway but since we were not an hour behind schedule, we would just have to stop at the game. Crap…pizza is so not on my diet! But neither is eating at 10pm when the ball game is through.

So we watch the ballgames. Tight games, decided by just a few points. But SC wins! So a positive after quite a crappy experience on the side of the road earlier. However, we now get another phone call from my brother’s girlfriend. Her plane has been delayed again. Now she thinks it will be midnight. Great! I knew I was going to pay for this the next day. But what can we do? We proceed to the airport and sit…and sit…and sit…watching the arrival board to see the time get later and later. My brother and my dad proceeded to curl up in corners of the baggage area and snore. I wanted to go home, but I wanted to greet her too. So tired. Her plan eventually lands at almost 1AM and we wait for baggage. Crap…no baggage…her luggage has not made the plane. She and my brother have only the clothes on their back until their luggage arrives. Finally leave the airport at about 1:30 and make it home to crash for a few hours before getting up to come to work.

What a fun day!

The next day was very hard. I walked around all day like a zombie. I was exhausted. After work, I tutored my student and then it was home to finish last minute cleaning and to sleep. Of course, trying to sleep when you are too tired to sleep sucks! Just laid there. Finally gave up and turned on the TV to watch Gossip Girls. Love that show!

On Thursday, I had Bunko night, and I was letting them use my house. I had it cleaned too! Top to bottom! It was a fun night, with yummy chili and sandwiches and I won! Yeah!

On Friday, it was a long drive to Mason County for another ball game. They were ranked #1 in the state with a supposed all star forward. SC just shut him down. It was quite game. Then a long drive back home.


Saturday, I had to go an buy a new tire because my tire could not be fixed. Damn, more money. Then off to the airport to pick up my other brother and his girlfriend. That's right, both brothers and their girlfriends are here. Yeah, I get to be the 7th wheel! yippee!

Things are good, though, so good to have my brother home. If only he didn't have to go back. Well I need some sleep. I'll talk more about the girls later. LOL!

No comments: