Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My summer job...

I may have to quit my summer job of the past 6 years. I work at a country club in the golf course part of it. I am the shop clerk and am in charge of the bag boys etc. at night when the pros leave. I am miserable right now. I have spoken in the past of one of the "boys" and how much he drives me crazy. Well the shit hit the fan tonight. We have a bag boy who apparently has no respect for authority. Tonight he was in the office playing on the computer which is fine because nothing was going on. I went outside to smoke a cigarette and two golf carts came in. I went back inside and he asked what it looked like out side. I told him two carts just came in and he didn't move. So I went back outside. All of sudden there were 10 carts to clean and wash. I started taking out trash and he came out and started washing them. I thought everything was cool. I was picking out beer cans from a cart and he comes over and tries to start doing the same thing. I simply said I got it, why don't you wash and park since I dont' really want to get wet. Apparently that is being bossy in his book. So I said fine and went inside, making a comment about not being wanted. From that point on, I tried to avoid him because I was so mad! If he was inside, I went out, and vice-versa. Once everyone was gone, he decides to "attack" me and says he needs to say something to me. I was like okay fine, cause I was thinking you attack me and it is on. He tells me I am unpleasant in front of the members. So I say okay let me tell you something. "You drive me crazy and you talk incessantly." I can't even finish my sentence before he explodes. I was going to continue with I don't really want to get into this right now, don't want to talk about it, I'll just leave you alone, but he wouldn't let me. I tried to go back inside and read but by this time I am so angry I am shaking. I'm still shaking, just writing this. I finally decide to call our assistant pro who is out on the golf course and I go out to see him just to get away from this person. While out there, I completely lose it. I am weeping and being so girly. Which is so unlike me. So embarassed. I'm just so mad I can't stop it. He says he'll go back to the shop and I should go see our head pro who is at the range. I can't imagine what good this will do since they are friends, but okay I'll try. I get myself together and drive down there. When I get there I try to explain the situation to him and fall apart again. I hate this. I tell him what happened and that I don't want to put him in the middle of it but I can't do it. I cannot work with this person. I do not like him, his personality, his attitude, none of it. I love my job and I love the members but I cannot work a part time job where I am miserable and hate coming to work. I hate to put up ultimatums but at this point it's going to have to be him or me. I just can't do it any more. Of course, my boss takes everything in stride and says he will take care of it. That this person is an employee first, then a friend. I'm not sure what this means but hopefully something will come of it. I know it's not just me, but I'm the one who has to work with him the most and I have to deal with him more than anyone else. The assistant doesn't like him, neither do any of the other bag boys. Something is just not right with him. This has been one of the worst summers I can remember at the club. I hate it! I hate working with him so much I may just have to quit. The assistant says not to worry about it and let it go, that the head pro can't afford to lose me. However, I just don't know. I honestly don't know how he can fix this. The person is too old and too set in his ways to understand or change how he treats me or anyone around him. This is just who he is and how he is. I have to work again tomorrow afternoon and it could be rather dicey. Be interesting to see what happens. However, I cannot handle another confrontation like tonight. I just can't. For god's sake, this is a part time job! I shouldn't be miserable at a part time job. If I have to quit, I will, but I really don't want to. This is so frustrating. Even now, I'm on the verge of losing it. I think the only thing that could make this workable is for my boss to tell him to stay out of my sight. Stay outside or anywhere I'm not. It that means I stay inside, then that's what happens. If he wants to work inside, fine, do it. I'll work outside. He can be the clerk and I'll be the bag boy. Anything just to not have to hear his voice or see his face.

No comments: