Friday, December 29, 2006

Tampa, Part 1

Okay so I am down here in warm and sunny Tampa Florida! The weather is a balmy 70-80 and beautiful! Loving it! Especially since it is so cold back in good old KY! Thought I would get on and update you on my trip so far. Several interesting things have happened thus far...didn't want to forget anything.

My trip began on Wednesday, after waiting for my car window to be fixed (see previous post) I was finally on the road around 12:30. Now the drive to Tampa is about 12 hours...it took me 14! Traffic was horrible. I actually came to a complete stop on the interstate 5 times in 5 different places in KY, TN, and GA. The worst being the hour I spent parked on the interstate or else creeping along at less than 5 mph just south of Atlanta. I thought I was never going to get moving again and I had to pee so bad! Torture! Finally though I got through it and picked up speed. Of course then I ran into construction and had to reduce my speed. Then the fuel light comes on and I'm like where's a gas station, because of course I am in between the longest gap between exits. Thankfully, I eventually made it to Tampa around 2:30am, parked the car, got out and went to sleep. Didn't even get the suitcase out of the car.

The next morning Ann and I went to pick up Jason and Vicki at the airport. I decided to drive since Ann still had carseats and stuff in her car and mine was empty. So off we went to pick up our friends. No problem picking up Jason. What a hoot! His first words were describing the "slightly" overweight person sitting next to him taking up part of his seat and the older person pushing him out of the way to get to her bag. His comment to her was "Slow down, you still have time to get to the early buffet at the old folks home!" I really can't believe some of the things that come out of his mouth. Then it was off to pick up Vicki who was on a different airline and thus in a different part of the airport. After several misturns and actually leaving the terminal and having to figure out how to get back to the terminal, we finally saw Vicki standing at the baggage claim area waiting on her luggage. Can't stop, so we start our process of circling. After about 5 times, I was really starting to get dizzy! Finally the luggage arrives and we are on our way to lunch.

After lunch, we head back to Ann's and I need a cigarette! However, my lighter has stopped working. So as we pull up to a light, I notice that the guy in the car in front of me is smoking, so I think what the hell. Put the car in park, hop out, and go ask for a light. Before I can get to the car, he is holding his lighter out the window. Cute guy, too! Of course, when I get back to the car, my friends are all like "You are nuts!" I was like "What?" I needed a cigarette! Plus it was good for a laugh! After we get back to Ann's, Jason settles in for a nap before dinner and the girls and I just hang out. Many interesting conversations have occur thus far including sex preferences, types of underwear, and eating habits! It is always a riot when we get together.

Dinner is at Outback and our friend Chris, another Tampa resident, joins us. After dinner, we decided to go bowling. However, Chris just has to have his bowling clothes, shoes, and ball. He just can't bowl without them. So we decide since Chris lives like 30 minutes away to go and meet them at an alley halfway between the two. So we go home to get sweatshirts, stop and get money at the ATM, etc. and go to the bowling alley. They aren't there. Well we go in and it is league night. So we call and figure out plan B. Off we go again for some more driving through I have no idea where. This time they show up at the alley and let me tell you this alley is like something out of Deliverance. Straight from the 70's or something. Ancient! I think we are the youngest people in the place. Bowling is a hoot and we have a lot of fun and a lot of beer. Not me of course, I was driving. Gotta protect the new car! LOL! Between Ann's granny bowling with her pink bowling ball and Jason's launching of the ball halfway down the lanes, it is definitely a good time! And the best part was that even with his precious shoes and ball, I beat the shit out of Chris in the endgame.

So we head for home. When we get home, Ann is off to bed since she has to work in the am, but Vicki and I stay up to watch a movie or so we think. I believe she fell asleep first, but I know I wasn't far behind. Needless to say I spent the night in a recliner and I felt it this morning. So I woke up and of course wanted to finish the movie I was watching the night before, so I find my place and get settled in to finish. About this time Vicki comes down the stairs, and suddenly I hear her say she has just armed the security system. What? She opens the sliding door to the porch and BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP the alarm starts wailing! So loud, you can't hear yourself on the phone. So we call Ann at work and she doesn't use the system, so there is no code. We have to call Brinks Home Security Systems to have them walk us through the disarming of the system. We have to find a panel upstairs and unhook a battery then go to the garage and unhook something plugged into the outlet. The outlet just happens to be on the roof of the garage, so here I go climbing up on my car to reach it and shut off the damn alarm. Didn't realize I was going to have to do electrical work on my vacation! LOL! These things always happen to me.

Finally got the alarm shut down and things got quiet, just in time for me to watch UK kick Clemson's ass in the Music City Bowl! Go CATS! Then dinner with the girls tonight and now it is time to kick back and relax before the big weekend. We plan to go out tomorrow night, Bucs game on Sunday, out on NY's, and Outback bowl on Monday. Should be lots of fun!

Be back later!

1 comment:

KJ said...

Sounds like you had a hell of a trip!!!